Now showing items 21-40 of 90

    • Marsh Creek Span Completed Under Budget in 1922 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-09-16)
      Constructed at "Two Bridges" in Carlton, the Marsh Creek bridge was first replaced in 1861 under the direction of David Fuller. After 44 years, the span was once again replaced in 1922 under the direction of L. Waldo Callard.
    • Centuries Old Church Was Once Worship Site for Orleans County Polish Community 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-08-26)
      The church of Sts. Bartholomew and Anne at Wabcz, Kujawsko-Pomorskie was the central worship site for many of Orleans County's Polish Catholics prior to their immigration to the United States in the late 19th century.
    • Orleans County Heroes Buried in the Fields of Picardy 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-09-02)
      The Somme American Cemetery near Bony in France is the final resting place for over 1,800 soldiers who gave their lives during the assault on the Hindenburg Line on September 29, 1918.
    • Medina Native Rests at Normandy American Cemetery 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-08-19)
      Born in Buffalo and raised in North Ridgeway, George Quinn graduated from Barker and spent a short period of time working for Harrison Radiator at Lockport before he was inducted into service in 1943. Quinn was a sergeant ...
    • The Angelus Bell 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2018-09-15)
      In 1907, complaints arose locally about the church bell at the “Polish colony.” As observed in the Orleans Republican, it is clear that the publisher of the Orleans American took issue with the frequent ringing of the bell. ...
    • Yates Man Employed with Panama Canal Project 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-01-14)
      Fernando Wickham, a veteran of the 8th New York Heavy Artillery, found employment with the U.S. Government as an inspector of Lake Ontario shores before traveling to Colon, Panama as a superintendent on the Panama Canal ...
    • Albionite's Prolific Life Concluded with Philanthropic Gifts to Those in Need 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-08-08)
      The son of an immigrant from French Canada, John Blodgett Bordwell was considered a local entrepreneur and "gentleman" while investing in real estate and engaging in the local quarrying of Medina Sandstone. After his death, ...
    • Yates Native Was Prominent Educator at Illinois College 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-08-12)
      Arriving at Yates from Waterville College, Charles G. Fairman taught at the Yates Academy before an early promotion to the position of principal in 1853. After a successful stay at the institution, he eventually became the ...
    • Main Street Bridge Was Site of Catastrophic Collapse in 1859 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-07-29)
      While hundreds of spectators gathered at Albion to watch a tight-rope walker cross the Erie Canal just west of Main Street, the bridge they were standing on gave way, throwing man, woman, and child into the water.
    • Catastrophic Canal Break Put Eagle Harbor Under Water 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-07-22)
      On August 3, 1927, a local farmer discovered a three-foot square hole in the embankment of the Erie Canal near Otter Creek in Albion. Within a matter of moments, the floor of the Canal broke free, flooding the vicinity of ...
    • Steamboat Celina Provided Efficient Shipping by Way of Canal 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-07-15)
      The Celina was one of the earliest freight steamers along this stretch of the Erie Canal, operated by the Buffalo & Rochester Transit Company's Steamboat Express Line. This particular vessel was operated by James Chamberlain ...
    • Grain Barge Rammed Bates Road Guard Gate in 1925 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-07-08)
      Orleans County hosts three guard gates to assist in isolating sections of the prism in case of accidents, breaks, and high water levels. In August of 1925, six barges from the "Green Fleet" struck the center pylon of the ...
    • Route for Early Immigrants Was Not Easy, nor Legal 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-06-24)
      Although located in rural Western New York, Orleans County found itself amidst the controversy of the Know-Nothing Party of the 1840s and 1850s. Despite the heavy population of Republicans in later years, immigrants flocked ...
    • Photograph Showcases Orleans County's Earliest Settlers 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-06-17)
      A group of pioneer inhabitants of Orleans County established an historic organization in 1859 with the purpose of recalling the hard work and sacrifices of those who came to Western New York before January 1, 1826. Nearly ...
    • July 4th Marks Bicentennial of Erie Canal Construction 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-07-01)
      After the construction of the Erie Canal, Western New York became the "Bread Basket of the World" up until the start of the Civil War. The extreme drop in shipping prices from $.25 per bushel to $5.00 per ton marked a ...
    • South Clinton Crossing was Busy Intersection for Agricultural Shipping 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-06-10)
      The South Clinton Street railroad crossing remained a focal point for local traffic through the turn of the 20th century. With a railroad depot located nearby, the strategic placement of the Albion House and the Morgan & ...
    • White Bronze Markers Provided Alternative to Traditional Stone 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2018-09-08)
      The Monumental Bronze Company of Bridgeport, Connecticut commenced the manufacture of these memorials in 1875. In addition to the company’s headquarters, subsidiaries opened in Des Moines, Detroit, and Chicago where the ...
    • Home of "Mover & Shaker" Replaced by Post Office 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-06-03)
      This beautiful Greek Revival residence was constructed for Alexis Ward in 1841 at the corner of Main and State streets. Ward was a strong supporter of local education efforts, assisting with the establishment of the Albion ...
    • The Origins of Platt Street 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-01-21)
      Platt Street, named for Albion businessman and entrepreneur Elizur Platt, started as Canal Street. His lasting impact on the area came in the form of the Orleans House, a large hotel constructed on the corner of Canal and ...
    • Jeweler Helped Start Cycling Club, Rotary in Albion 

      Ballard, Matthew R. (County of Orleans, 2017-10-28)
      As a charter member of the Albion Rotary Club and a member of the Masons Damascus Temple, John D. Daniels was a respected businessman in Albion.